MECHELEN - On the 21st and 22nd of April 2012, the Royal Carillon school 'Jef Denyn', the Royal Association of Tower and Carillon, in collaboration with the City of Mechelen, organises for the first time an international Youth Competition for Carillon on the occasion of the commemoration of the 150th birthday of Mechelen's city carillonneur Jef Denyn. This contest is the result of the International Youth Carillon Festival, which has been organized already three times in Mechelen.
The participants are performing according to age groups:
- Category A - from 9 to 13 years old. Allowed playtime for each participant is minimum 5 minutes and maximum 10 minutes. Each participant plays 2 music pieces of his own choice on a mobile carillon within the allocated time frame.
- Category B - from 14 to 16 years old. Allowed playtime for each participant is minimum 5 minutes and maximum 10 minutes. Each participant plays at liberty 2 music pieces of his own choice on a mobile carillon within the allocated time frame.
- Category C - from 17 to 21 years old. Allowed playtime for each participant is minimum 5 minutes and maximum 10 minutes. Each participant plays 2 music pieces, of which at least one is an original composition written for carillon, on the carillon of St-Rombouts within the allocated time frame.
In each category three prizes will be awarded, each of them a bell to remember this competition. In addition a public reward will also be given.
Saturday April 21st
Sunday April 22nd
- 8.30 a.m.: Royal Carillon School. Welcome. Stipulate the order of appearance of the candidates.
- 9.00 a.m. until 2.00 pm: Cultural Centre Mechelen. Contest with the performance of the three categories.
- 3.30 p.m.: Recital by the students of the Royal Carillon School followed by the proclamation of the laureates and reception.
- 12.00 a.m. until 1.00 p.m.: Tower music. Carillon music by Jef Denyn en contemporary composers on all carillons in the city (mobile carillon at the Lamot site, Church of Onze-Lieve-Vrouw-over-de-Dijle, Busleyden and St-Rombouts) by the students of the Royal Carillon School.
- 3.00 p.m.: Recital by the laureates of the contest, in collaboration with the Conservatorium of Mechelen, on the mobile carillon on the 'Grote Markt' (marketplace) and on the carillon of St-Rombouts.
Koen Cosaert, director of the Royal Carillon School "Jef Denyn (president), Jan de Maeyer, director of the Conservatorium of Mechelen, Boudewijn Zwart, director of the Dutch Carillon Institute Dordrecht, Eddy MariŽn, city carillonneur of Mechelen and teacher at the Royal Carillon School "Jef Denyn", Dina Verheyden, teacher at the Royal Carillon School 'Jef Denyn', Ludwig van Mechelen, director Klassiek Centraal, Gerda Samyn (secretary).
The public award is organized by the Royal Association for Tower and Carillon 'Jef Denyn' and coordinated by its president Erik Vekemans.
RULES OF THE COMPETITION
The participants agree to accept the rules of the competition. Jury decisions are final and binding. The jury has the right not to award one or more prizes. The age difference of the competitors within each category is taken into account. When the maximum allowed playing time is exceeded, the jury can decide to judge only a part of the performance. The order of performance of the contestants within each category, will be decided according to their respective age.